Wednesday, July 25, 2018

NO, Seriously - I do not want to pet your furbaby!

Dog lovers, don't hate on me yet.  That goes for my dog loving friends too.  Let me explain.......

I've had a busy week.  It's the first evening I've had a moment of free time.  I go for a walk. It's beautiful outside.  I want to enjoy my moment alone and decompress. 

As usual, the park is full of animal lovers and their dogs (aka furbabies).  I would never be mean to an animal but, that doesn't mean I want to come to the park to play with yours.  I really really don't! In fact, it's a little unfair I get the look of shame when you slow down, pull your dog in my direction, and I don't start making a fuss over your precious creature.  Love 'em all you want but still -  NO, I don't want to pet your furbaby! 

It isn't only dog people that annoy me.  It's the lady who is way too eager to make a new b.f.f.

It's the dude with the broken heart who sits in his swing with tears in his eyes.  What?! Am i supposed ask?   

It's the kid who wonders over to where I sit down, says hi, smiles, and stares at me. Baby girl, where is your Mommy?  That's what I'm thinking .  What if I was weirdo?  Someone could hurt her.  Why aren't her parents noticing she's gone and sitting by a stranger? Why? 

It's  the guy who won't look up from his phone and is a bit creepy.  Dude, stop. 

It's anything, everything, and everyone. 

That's right.  I said it.  It was my "me" time so why are you in my space. I'm in a good mood; why can't you stay out of my space?

THEN..... I am reminded, Jesus always made time for the people in front of Him.  

My whole perspective flips.

What if I had acknowledged the guy & his precious furbabies? 

What if I had genuinely smiled at the lady who looked like she was in need of a friend? 

What if I had spoken to the sad dude or even smiled at him? 

Why couldn't I have been thankful it was me the kid found and not a weirdo. Why didn't I refrain from judging her parents for their lack of attentiveness?

What if I had smiled at the dude who was all in his phone? Maybe he's shy, maybe he lacks confidence and getting outside was big deal for him.  

-----
What if I had done the thing that I tell people to do, "Treat People like People"? 

It cost nothing to be kind but then I guess there are times we all feel a little spent.  

Most days, I am friendly.  Extra is the word my son uses to describe my friendly.  "MOM, you are so extra...(insert sarcastic face)"   

Other days, other days are like today and today I don't want to pet your furbaby! 

I believe the world would be better if we were all genuine, nice, and decent to everyone every single day.  

I will be more considerate of those around me.  Kindness is important.  I'm sorry, I wasn't tonight. 

If you are thinking about the chick at the park who looked utterly annoyed at your presence,  don't judge her too harshly.  Maybe she simply loves quiet walks alone.   :) 

And a side note to Michele, Laurie, Shelia, & Jaime, and all my other animal loving peeps -  Sorry, cut me some slack on this post.  For what's it's worth, Michele's boy dog is a giant mess of chaotic hyperness but he gets me.   I understand your puppy love even if I don't want to pet your furbaby.  (And no, I don't want my own) 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I blew it...

I overheard a conversation between my son and his friend.   My immediate reaction, “Son!”  He laughs out loud and replies, “Pfffff, don’t s...