Friday, June 22, 2018

Find Your Roar

If I was roaming about and heard a lion roar, I’d be scared. You would be too, don't play.   If that same lion was there and didn’t roar I may not notice him.

Confidence is a lot like a lion’s roar.   If you have it, other people are sometimes intimidated.  If you don’t have it, you sometimes wonder if you are noticed.

A lion must roar because a lion is a lion.  We must be confident in who we are because God made us, and God doesn’t make mistakes.  

I’m an extrovert, mostly.  I wasn’t shy, but I’ve always needed alone time. Writing and the outdoors were and are a refuge for me.

 In school, I sometimes lacked confidence and latched onto my introverted side.  
In school, I found my roar in sports, academics, and what my son calls being “extra”.  I wanted to get the grade, win the game, or always have some sort of advantage.  

In early adulthood, I found my roar in having a positive attitude and career achievements.

I use the word found loosely. Picture a baby lion. Think of Simba from the Lion King movies. See him try to roar?  Now picture Simba when he really found his roar.  See the difference?

The things I did to feel confident, to convince myself that I was enough, to make myself secure in who I was, they were like Simba and his baby roar.  They were a pitiful mask for true confidence.

Confidence is not arrogant.  Truly confident people are humble and show their humility to others.

True confidence is knowing that God designed you with a purpose and on purpose. It is believing that your passion, talents, and even weaknesses are for a reason.  You will reach your fullest potential when you embrace who God designed you to be.  

True confidence is being secure. True confidence is an exercise of faith.


Faith is believing even before you see the evidence.

You get to be you!  A lion roars because he is a lion.  Simba never needed to search for his roar. He was able to roar because it was within him all along.

God has equipped you with everything you need.  Embrace your strengths, recognize your weakness, and find the work that fills your joy.  

When you will do that, you will find your roar.  

Terri Savelle Foy has a great video on discovering why you were born, your purpose:



No comments:

Post a Comment

I blew it...

I overheard a conversation between my son and his friend.   My immediate reaction, “Son!”  He laughs out loud and replies, “Pfffff, don’t s...